Vermont history, people, places and things on the somewhat unusual and quirky side
- The Highly Toxic Vermont Asbestos Group Mine Site
- The Fur Bearing Trout of Lake Memphremagog
- Delightfully Creepy Neighborhood Park in Burlington VT
- 21st Century Grave Robbing Alive and Well in Vermont
- The Origin of Mount Mansfield?
- The Swimming Hole of Death – Huntington Gorge
- A Peek Inside the “Brick House” in Shelburne
- Vermont Dowsers or “Water Witches”
- The Ku Klux Klan in Vermont
- Brownington’s Old Stone House Museum
- Ollie, the Famous Camel of Ferrisburgh
- “Snowflake” Bentley of Jericho, VT
- The Pipe Smoking Fisherwoman of Newport, VT
- Devil Cats of Vermont
- A Bloody Relic
- St Johnsbury – A Name Unique Throughout the World
- The Middlebury Mummy
- The Brookfield Floating Bridge – Williamstown, VT
- The Toughest Town in Vermont
- The Tragic Story of Elia Corti
- A Dual Purpose Coffin
- A Headstone that Says it All
- Runaway Pond
- A Grave Story
- The Town Named After a Cheapskate
- The Hope Cemetery, Barre, VT.
Hope Cemetery. This is the only cemetery where I have actually seen tourists go and take photos next to the monuments. Probably for good reason as this is one of the most fantastic displays of granite that you’ll ever see. Monuments such as the huge soccer ball, airplane, the trucker and perhaps the most unusual of all…two people side-by-side, holding hands in bed. Plus, life size statues and more. Take a look for yourself as a whole gallery of Hope Cemetery photos are now available.
- Pickled Post Mortem – Grave Robbing in Vermont
- WWII Bombers Crash in Vermont
- The Boorn Ultimatum
- Nothing Runs Like A Deere!
- The Oldest Log Cabin in the USA
The following two tabs change content below.
Vermonter.com was started back in the mid 1990's as a Vermont resource guide. Since then it has evolved into more of a quirky historical and unusual chronicle of off beat Vermont folklore, myths and legends. It's easy to create a Vermont resource but damn hard to corral all the "good stuff" in one place. But hey, I'm having fun! This website is best enjoyed on a dark, rainy day with a cup of coffee and a loyal dog (or cat) asleep at your feet. So enjoy and have fun. "There be WEIRD stuff here!" Comment below, if you dare!
Latest posts by Vermonter (see all)
- Ghostly First Responder Screams Warning at Readsboro Inn Fire - September 20, 2018
- Discover the Mysterious Origin of VT’s Awesome Sentinel Rock - July 20, 2018
- Celebrate Newport, Vermont’s Centennial and Grab a Great Book! - June 28, 2018