Vermont has some pretty old and idiotic laws but my personal favorite is the last one on the list. Here we go:
- Women must get permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.
- It’s illegal to deny the existence of God.
- It was once illegal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole.
- Delivery men must walk backwards in driveways of homes worth more than $500,000
- It is not legal to whistle underwater.
- Doves must not be kept in the freezer.
- It is not legal to paint landscapes during times of war.
- It is illegal to give a baby a “comforter”.
- In Rutland, cars are forbidden from backfiring.
- It is illegal for vagrants to obtain food by force.
- It is not legal to use colored margarine in restaurants unless the menu indicates it is permitted in 2 inch high lettering.
- In the town of Barre, all residents must bathe every Saturday night.
The following two tabs change content below.
Vermonter.com was started back in the mid 1990's as a Vermont resource guide. Since then it has evolved into more of a quirky historical and unusual chronicle of off beat Vermont folklore, myths and legends. It's easy to create a Vermont resource but damn hard to corral all the "good stuff" in one place. But hey, I'm having fun! This website is best enjoyed on a dark, rainy day with a cup of coffee and a loyal dog (or cat) asleep at your feet. So enjoy and have fun. "There be WEIRD stuff here!" Comment below, if you dare!
Latest posts by Vermonter (see all)
- End of Vermont’s Fair Season Beckons the Return of Autumn - September 11, 2017
- Fantastic Works of Art from the Adirondacks of New York - May 12, 2017
- The Recipe Box: Memory Is Its Own Kind of Fiction - December 13, 2016